Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Heineken

Let me just say, my beer of choice has always been and always will be Heineken Light. I saw the new commercial for Heineken a few weeks ago and I thought it was odd, but I couldn't get over the song. The song in the ad is fantastic. I finally just remembered to look it up.


Upon doing 5 minutes of research it came about that the song is actually taken from an old bollywood musical called "Gumnaam" in the 60's. The commercial is much more exciting than the actual song.



Also found out that the clip above along with the original song was featured in the opening credits of "Ghost World".  I'm always looking for some new movies to watch and it looks like Ghost World just made my, "never seen and need to watch" list.


I was interested in what the song meant and found the translated lyrics from this lovely blog:


"Jan pehchaan ho
Jeena aasaan ho
Dil ko churaane waalon
Ankh na churao, naam to batao

(Let us get acquainted
It would make life easier
You who steal our hearts, do not avert your glances
Tell us your name)"




 Kind of disappointed though, I really thought I was going to stumble upon some outrageous underground band... Oh well. Heineken still makes the song sound great and this little excursion led me to this fantastic blog that I will most likely be frequenting. 


Jan pehchaan ho, 

No comments:

Post a Comment